Sausage rolls are the perfect meat treat and a fun Australian street treat. With so many sausage varieties available, we decided to try 3 different ones and offer a variety of sausage rolls bites. Our variety includes German, Andouille, and Chicken, Spinach, and Feta. The onion and breadcrumb mixture worked great with all 3 and we can’t decide which was our favorite! Try any variety and let us know which was your favorite.
Start off by sautéing the onions and celery for about 5 minutes until soft. Let mixture cool, then add egg and breadcrumbs.
Mix the breadcrumbs with each type of sausage link separately in bowls and then prep your puff pastry dough rectangles by rolling them out to about 11×4 inch.
Roll the dough around the sausage and seal with a little egg wash. Repeat with the other two sausages and place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Cut pretty X’s or any design that you prefer along the tops to vent and brush with egg wash. Refrigerate until ready to bake!
Preheat oven to 350°. Cut crosses along tops of rolls and brush with egg wash. Bake rolls for 35-45 minutes until nicely browned on top. Let cool and slice into 1-2 inch long pieces. Serve with Ketchup and Mustard.
Hot, meaty, flaky and delicious!
Aussie-style Sausage Rolls
- 1 sheet puff pastry dough
- 3 sausage links, removed from casings in separate bowls
- 1 medium onion, diced fine
- 1 large stalk of celery, diced fine
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 eggs, 1 for egg wash
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Ketchup and yellow mustard for servingDirections
1. Remove pastry dough from freezer to thaw. Sauté onion and celery on medium low for 5-7 minutes until soft but not browned, add garlic and sauté an additional 2 minutes. Pour and in mixing bowl and cool. Add the egg and panko bread crumbs and mix well. If sausages are links, remove from casings. Add sausage, salt and pepper, and mix well. If using a variety of sausages, split breadcrumb mixture evenly into each sausage variety in separate bowls.
2. Prepare a large surface and rolling pin by lightly dusting with flour. Remove 1 sheet of pastry dough, unroll and cut along seams to 3 rectangles. Roll one piece into 12×5 inch rectangle. Arrange sausage in about an inch thick cylinder along the long edge facing you. Roll dough around the sausage mixture and seal with a little water or egg wash. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining rolls, 3 per baking sheet. Cover and refrigerate until ready to bake.
3. Preheat oven to 350°. Cut crosses along tops of rolls and brush with egg wash. Bake rolls for 35-45 minutes until nicely browned on top. Let cool and slice into 1-2 inch long pieces. Serve with Ketchup and Mustard.