Chicken Tikka Masala has become the most popular dish in Britain, even over taking Fish and Chips! Chicken Tikka Masala was originally a way to use leftover Tandoori chicken, mixing it into a creamy gravy and serving over rice. My recipe adds a little spicy kick with jalapeno and Thai chilies!
I like to use a mixture of boneless chicken thighs and breasts. Cut the chicken into smaller pieces, but not too small so that you don’t loose them on the grill. Marinate the chicken pieces overnight in yogurt, cilantro, lemon juice, and dried spices.
On race day morning, mix together the spice mix ingredients and crush your canned tomatoes in a large bowl. When crushing whole tomatoes by hand, carefully stick your finger in the tomato cavity before crushing to avoid getting squirt by tomato juice!
Melt butter or ghee in a large heavy skillet over medium heat and add the onions and jalapeno (if using). Cook onions for about 5 minutes and then add your garlic, ginger, tomato paste and spice mix. Add one chopped, dried Thai chili now if you are feeling spicy!
Cook mixture for 2 minutes and add crushed tomatoes and 1/2 of the cilantro.
Cover and turn heat to low while you prepare the chicken. Light your grill for medium high heat. Grill chicken pieces for about 5 minutes on each side.
Let chicken cool and chop into bite-sized pieces.
Add heavy cream, cilantro, and chicken pieces to the sauce and cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
Server with basmati rice and remaining fresh cilantro!
Chicken Tika Masala
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 cups plain, whole milk yogurt
2 tbsp chopped, fresh cilantro
1 tsp garam masala
2 tbsp ginger
2 tbsp garlic
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp garam masala
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp paprika
1 chopped, dried Thai chili (1/2 teaspoon)
2 tbsp ginger
2 tbsp garlic
2 medium onions
1 jalapeno (optional)
3 tbsp butter or ghee
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 28 oz can whole peeled tomato
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup chopped, fresh cilantro
1. Cut the chicken into quarter pieces and place in large, sealable bag
2. Add the marinade ingredients and allow to marinade in the refrigerator overnight or at least 2 hours
3. When ready to make the dish, mix the spice ingredients together in a bowl
4. Pour the canned tomato in a bowl and crush tomatoes with your hands
5. Melt butter in a large, heavy skillet and add the onion
6. Cook onion for 5 minutes and then add the garlic, ginger, tomato paste, and spice mix
7. Cook two additional minutes and add crushed tomatoes and 1/2 of the cilantro
8. Cover and turn heat to low
9. Light a grill to medium high heat
10. Cook the chicken pieces on the grill for 5 minutes on each side
11. Remove the chicken and chop into bite sized pieces when cooled
12. Add the heavy cream and chicken pieces to the sauce and cook uncovered for 10 additional minutes
13. Serve with basmati rice and remaining fresh cilantro