It wouldn’t be the European tour of Formula One without Wiener Schnitzel! Wiener Schnitzel is amazingly delicious and very simple to make. Veal is used in the classic preparation but you could substitute chicken and pork and it would be just as delicious! Serve the schnitzel along with the potato salad and eat like Austrians for the Grand Prix this Sunday!
The only way that I can buy veal is in pre-scallopine cut packages. That is actually okay with me because I don’t have to pound the meat! If you can’t buy your meat pre-prepped, cut meat into 1/2 slices on the diagonal and use a meat pounder to get to about 1/4-1/8 inch thin pieces.
Set up your breading station with flour, beaten eggs, and breadcrumbs each in separate large bowls.
Bread the veal by coating lightly with flour, then dip in the egg, and ending with the breadcrumbs. Place the pieces on a baking sheet until you are ready to fry!
Heat about a 1/2 inch of vegetable oil over medium heat in a large skillet. When hot, fry the veal in small batches for about 2 minutes on each side.
Transfer to a cooling rack placed over a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven until you are done frying the rest!
Serve with sliced lemon and fresh chopped parsley.
• 1-2 pounds veal scallopine
• 2 cups plain breadcrumbs
• 2 cups flour
• 2 large eggs, beaten
• Vegetable oil for frying
• 1 large lemon
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1. Place breadcrumbs, flour and beaten eggs into separate large dishes for breading
2. Lightly salt and pepper the veal
3. Dip veal scallopine piece in flour, coat, and shake off excess
4. Dip floured piece in egg wash, then coat in breadcrumbs
5. Place breaded piece on a cooling rack over a baking sheet and repeat with remaining veal
6. Heat about 1/2 inch vegetable oil in large skillet over medium heat
7. When oil is hot, fry veal for about 2 minutes on each side. Do not crowd the pan, it will take a few batches to complete
8. Place fried veal back on the cooling rack and place in a warm oven to keep warm
9. When done frying all of the veal serve with lemon slices and garnish with fresh parsley