We are having so much fun with the Spanish Grand Prix, and figured some fried potatoes with super sassy sauce had to make an appearance! Patatas Bravas is a very traditional Spanish dish, and served at almost every restaurant or bar. It is one of the spiciest dishes served, so grab a nice glass of Sangria and get ready to spice up the race!
We love sauce! I mean, who doesn’t…for this dish we made two!! A smoked paprika-tomato sauce, and a garlic aioli.
Sizzling onions, garlic, smoked paprika and red chili.
Top the fried potatoes with the smoked paprika-tomato sauce, then the garlic aioli and Dig In!
Grand Patatas Bravas
For the Garlic Aioli
• 2 large all natural, cage-free egg yolks
• 1 garlic clove, diced
• 1/3 cup olive oil
• white wine vinegar, just a splash
For the Patatas Bravas
• 5 Yukon gold potatoes
• 1 white onion, chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, chopped
• 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
• ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
• 14.5oz can chopped tomatoes
• ¼ cup tablespoon olive oil
• 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
• Sherry cooking wine, just a splash
1. First, let’s make the garlic aioli. In a metal bowl, whisk the egg yolks, add the chopped garlic and a splash of white wine vinegar. While whisking, slowly pour in the olive oil until the mixture is thick. Season with sea salt and set aside.
2. Fill a large pot with cold water, place the chopped potatoes in the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 7 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3. In a frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the chopped onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add the chopped garlic, smoked paprika and red chili flakes. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes, fresh rosemary and a splash of cooking wine, season with salt and pepper, then simmer about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly. Using a blender or food processor, blend until smooth
4. Pour ¼ cup olive oil into a large frying pan. Heat oil over a medium heat, until hot. Fry the potatoes for 5 to 10 minutes, turning often until golden and crisp. Drain briefly on kitchen paper towel.
5. Serve the potatoes with smoked paprika – tomato sauce and garlic aioli.