Homemade Tzaziki Sauce takes a little extra time but is delicious and refreshing! This sauce goes great with our Grilled Lamb Pita Burgers.
Cucumbers are packed with water, so to keep the sauce from being runny and watered down you need to drain the cucumber with a little salt for at least 1 hour. Grate half of an English cucumber and place in a strain over a bowl and sprinkle with a little salt.
Squeeze out any excess liquid and add to a mixing bowl.
Stir in the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, dill, salt and pepper and refrigerate for another hour. Serve with lamb pita burgers or as a dipping sauce.
• 1 medium English cucumber
• 1 pint plain Greek yogurt
• 1 clove chopped garlic
• 1 teaspoon salt, plus extra for drying the cucumber
• 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
• 1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
1. Grate the cucumber and place in a strainer set over a bowl
2. Sprinkle with about 1 tablespoon of salt, mix, cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour
3. Squeeze the cucumber in a towel or just press to release the remaining water
4. Mix in bowl with remaining ingredients
5. Refrigerate for another hour to let the flavors blend
6. Serve with lamb pita burgers!