Lamb is popular in the middle east so we thought a great lamb sandwich was necessary for Bahrain. These pita burgers are stuffed with raw lamb mixed with herbs and feta cheese, and then grilled to perfection! The juices and fat from the meat soak into the pita while it grills and gives a delicious, meaty, crispy treat!
Start by mixing the lamb with the spices, onions, and parsley. If you aren’t a lamb fan, any ground meat would taste delicious with this cooking method!
Carefully mix the feta so that you get some chunks when you eat the meat.
Split the pitas by cutting along the seam halfway around the perimeter. Then open up the insides to get it ready for the filling.
Split the meat into 4 equal portions and flatten into a patty that will fit into the pita pocket. Insert the meat and the press to distribute to the edges.
Heat a grill to medium low heat and add the pitas. Monitor your pitas because you don’t want them to burn before the meat is cooked!
Shuffle them around and flip a few times to get the perfect coloring. It should take about 10 minutes total.
Cut each pita into 4 pieces and serve with homemade Tzaziki Sauce and Sriracha.
Grilled Lamb Pita Burger
• 1 lb ground lamb
• 1 red onion, finely chopped
• 1/2 cup chopped parsley
• 1 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 2 teaspoons pepper
• 4 large pita breads
1. Mix lamb and next 7 ingredients well
2. Add the feta cheese and mix in carefully leaving small chunks of feta mixed throughout the burgers
3. Open each pita by cutting along the seam, halfway around and opening up the pocket
4. Divide the lamb into 4 equal portions and flatten into a thin patty that will fit inside the pocket
5. Slide into the pita pocket and press carefully to spread the filling, repeat remaining pitas
6. Light grill to medium low heat and cook pita burgers, rotating often so they don’t burn before the meat is cooked
7. Remove from grill after about 10 minutes and slice each pita into 4 slices
8. Serve with Tzaziki Sauce and Sriracha!