Pistachios are primarily grown in the Middle East, so why not do a pistachio ice cream for “desert!” We followed the Epicurious recipe pretty close with minor changes (which doesn’t often). But this recipe is outstanding!
Start by mixing pistachios and sugar in your food processor. I recommend processing it a little longer than you would think necessary. Then add the mix to the whole mile and slowly bring to a boil in a large heavy saucepan.
Whisk the egg yolks and remaining sugar in a separate bowl. Remove the pistachio milk from the stove, add the almond extract, and slowly pour 1/2 cup of the hot milk into the eggs. Whisk while you add the milk to temper the egg yolks, and then pour the yolks back into the saucepan.
Cook the custard over low heat stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a container and refrigerate overnight. Make sure that you put your ice cream maker in the freezer!
When you are ready to make the ice cream, add 1 cup of heavy whipping cream to the custard. Then toast 3/4 cup of unshelled pistachios in a 325° over for 15 minutes.
Pour the custard into your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for mixing. Add the toasted pistachios in the last few minutes to incorporate.
Transfer the ice cream to a container and freeze for at least another hour to harden.
Scoop out into individual bowls or make ice cream sandwiches!
Enjoy!!! Creamy, crunchy, nutty, delicious!
Pistachio Ice Cream
• 1 cup unsalted, shelled pistachios
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 2 cups whole mile
• 1 teaspoon almond extract
• 5 egg yolks
• 1 cup heavy whipping cream
• 3/4 cup toasted, unshelled pistachios
1. Fine Grind 1 cup pistachios with 1/4 cup sugar in food processor
2. Slowly bring milk and pistachio mixture to boil in heavy saucepan, remove from heat, and add almond extract
3. Whisk egg yolks and remaining 1/2 cup of sugar in mixing bowl
4. Slowly whisk in 1/2 cup of the hot milk and pistachio mixture, then pour that back into saucepan with the remaining milk
5. Cook custard over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to thicken
6. After about 10 minutes, it should be the consistency to coat the back of a spoon
7. Strain into a large bowl or storage container and refrigerate overnight
8. When ready to make ice cream, toast 3/4 cup of pistachios in a 325 oven for 15 minutes
9. Mix the whipping cream into the pistachio custard and turn on your ice cream maker
10. Process mixture according to your manufacturerss instructions, adding the toasted pistachios in the last two minutes of mixing.
11. Serve in individual cups or make ice cream sandwiches!