We know what you might be thinking, “Isn’t Caprese a Salad?!?” Trust us on this one. If you are a fan, or not, of Caprese salads you are going to LOVE this! Personally we think anything drizzled with balsamic reduction gets a gold star, but when you put it over fresh basil, roasted tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and grilled bread? Stop it…it is just to die for!
Oven roasted tomatoes add a really nice roasted flavor to our caprese sandwich, and are complemented great with the grilled bread.
We grilled our bread on a gas grill. It was amazing, but you have to keep an eye on it!
Grilled Caprese Sandwich
- 6 tomatoes (we used vine ripened), sliced about 1/2 inch thick
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3-4 ounces fresh mozzarella sliced
- 10 basil leaves
- 4 slices harvest grain bread (or anything that strikes your fancy)
- 1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place tomatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 40 minutes.
- 2. Add vinegar to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a very low simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes, until liquid reduces by about half its amount. Remove from heat. It will continue to thicken while it cools. If it gets too think, you can reheat slightly.
- 3. Once tomatoes are finished, heat your grill, or griddle to medium heat. Brush each side of the bread with olive oil, and grill until nice and toasted.
- 4. Place mozzarella on one slide, followed by tomatoes and basil leaves. Drizzle with balsamic reduction.