Here is a little something to sweeten the race! As you may or may not know, we are from Boulder, Colorado. We are showing our true colors here with these gluten free cookie sandwiches. They are so dang good, we promise no one will know the difference! We made chocolate chip cookie sandwiches with pasticcio ice cream, and a white chocolate chip and macadamia nut cookie with double chocolate ice cream!
We have quite a few friends who have a gluten intolerance, and we’ve tested out many recipes! For desserts coconut flour is one of our favorites. The yummy coconut flavor complements sweets, and the consistency holds together while providing enough moisture so the cookies don’t just crumble into a million pieces. We blended a little tapioca flour into this recipe, and it came out quite nice!
Roll the dough into golf sized balls. You will cook them for 5 minutes and then slightly flatten them with the back of a spatula. They don’t go down into flat cookies, they need a little help.
Let cool completely before making the ice cream sandwiches. You can also make them ahead of time, and freeze them individually wrapped in saran wrap.
Eat immediately or store up to a week.
Desert Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 ¾ cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup macadamia nuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cream butter and sugars until fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time and beat well.
3. Mix flours, baking powder and salt in separate bowl, until combined. Add flour mixture to the wet ingredients, and mix well.
4. Separate dough in ½. To one ½ add the chocolate chips, and to the other ½ add the white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts.
5. Form golf ball sized balls and place on a cookie sheet, lined with parchment paper.
6. Bake for 5 minutes, and then pull the cookies out. Lightly flatten the cookies with the back of a spatula, and return to the oven. Continue baking for an additional 5 – 7 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
7. Let cool completely, and then put one scoop of ice cream between two cookies. Yum…race day just got a little sweeter!