Looking to jazz up the table a little with a few items?!? Here are a few traditional items that are great with any Malaysian dish!
Roasted and salted peanuts
Hard boiled eggs
Pickled daikon radish and carrot salad
Freshly sliced cucumber
Anyone feeling a little spicy? Bring on the heat with Thai Chilies!
Pickled Daikon Radish and Carrot Salad
• 1 daikon radish (peeled and sliced into matchstick size pieces)
• 12 medium carrots (peeled and sliced into matchstick size pieces)
• 5 Thai Chilies (optional but it does add a nice hint of spice)
• 3 cups water
• 1 ½ cup vinegar (we used pickling blend)
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 ½ tablespoons sea salt
1. Prepare the daikon radish and carrots. Peel and slice into matchstick sized pieces.
2. Pour the water in a pot, and bring it to just under a boil. Add the vinegar, sugar, and salt. Stir to combine.
3. Add the daikon, carrots, and chili to a jar. Pour in the water mixture.
4. The salad is ready to eat in a couple of hours, and will pickle faster at room temperature. If you are making it ahead of time, go ahead and put it in the fridge.